This time of year is always filled with lots of traditions. Those traditions vary by family some have been around for generations while others are new to that family. Well this year as we are not around family and I am not pregnant ready to have a baby, I have decided it is about time we start our own family traditions. Some will be things passed down from previous generations.
The thing that kicks off our Christmas is decorations especially the tree. The kids are bummed because it isn't up yet but that is one thing the whole family helps with. All the other decorating I try to have done late November or first of December. These include a village (which I have added to every year of our marriage), Our Snow family, various nativities 2 which the kids are allowed to play with, a couple of Snow globes, the Santas and don't forget the advent calendars or lights.
Next time for the gifts. This year I have decided that each child will get 3 gifts as a symbol of the gifts given to our savior at his birth. Also on odd years the kids instead of exchanging gifts they pick out a gift from a giving tree and get the gift and turn them in. We started this tradition when Ashlyn was 1 and still too little to understand. This year it was fun though we went to Target the 2 gifts we needed to get were a Barbie Doll and Matchbox Cars. It was fun to watch them try and decide what this other child would want. At first Stew picked out a bigger police car that had lights and sirens on it, which I am sure the little boy would have loved, but instead we got him some matchbox cars and something to play with them on. Next it was time to pick out the Barbie doll, which you would think would be super easy a Barbie. This was not so straight forward Ashlyn picked out one Barbie and after looking at it I decided that it was not the right one. Finally she picked one that was riding a bike, that was where she could see it. We will wrap the gifts later and then turn them in, in a few days.
Then there's the Christmas cards which I am so happy are almost done and ready to be sent out. Yes I took the simple way again this year and got picture Christmas Cards. The letter is done now to put them together address them and get them sent.
A new tradition for us this year (thanks Margel) is the Christmas Candle, we light the candle every night and read scriptures about the Savior and his attributes. I remember as a kid doing this a couple of Christmas' but had not implemented it in my own family until this year. My kids are so excited to do this. It is great.
Other traditions include Holiday Baking, Candy making, Neighbor/ Friend gifts just to name a few. I am going to implement a family service idea this next week so we can focus on what is truly important, following our Savior by serving others and the service starts in the home.
(Pictures to come)
No comments:
Post a Comment