I remember well the day Sean gave me my ring and asked me to marry him. He was picking me up at the airport after a very exhausting flight home where I had to spend the night on the floor of the Vegas airport. I was tired, but excited to see Sean as it had been 3 weeks since we had seen each other. He pulled up to the curb at the SLC airport and waited for me to load my bags. I was a little annoyed he knew what a crazy couple of days I had had yet here he sat in the car waiting for me to get in (this was uncharacteristic of him). When I finally plopped myself in the passenger seat he asked me if he had to get on one knee to ask me to marry him. I told him no but it would be nice. Then he asked me to marry him and put the ring on my finger. We had talked about rings but never went looking at them or shopping together for one. This was something he had done on his own. Here are the guidelines though that I had given him: It had to be white gold (or at least a silver color), the diamond needed to be pretty flush with the ring as I didn't want to have to worry about scratching my future kids with it, simple in design and the largest diamond that I was comfortable with was .75 carat less was better. I know what some of you are thinking, isn't bigger better. I didn't think so and for a long time I had a hard time wearing the ring, but I did cause it was a symbol of Sean's love for me. Ihave come to love my ring over the years and wouldn't trade it for anything else. It is perfect with one flaw.
The one problem with the ring though is that the diamond falls out from time to time. It is a pressure setting no prongs. The first time it fell out was on my first 5 day trip it was the last flight of the day and I was doing my paper work when I looked down and noticed the diamond was missing. As it was late the cabin lights were out making it hard to see anything in the cabin. I looked around in the galley but no luck. I opened the curtain to the galley and there on the floor illuminated by the light in the galley was my diamond shining brightly. Heavenly Father had heard my unspoken prayer and answered it. When I got back in town we took it back to the jeweler who reset the diamond in my ring, with the warning that if it happened again we would need to put a band under the diamond.
Fast forward 8.5 years and to date the diamond has fallen out of my ring now 3 more times. I have been fortunate and blessed to have found it each and every time. The spirit has always prompted me to stop and notice that it is gone commencing the search of the area where I am at. Well it happened again and because this time I actually left the area before finding the diamond I thought for sure it was gone for good.
At the ward party last night after the closing prayer was said I noticed it was gone again. It had been a fun night full of dancing, zip lining, and chasing kids around the bishop's yard. It was also pitch black everyone immediately started scouring the grass for the lost diamond but too no avail. I told the bishop's wife I would be back today to look for my diamond. My heart sunk as I left part of me was at peace but part of me felt like it was gone for good. This morning I felt prompted to go out after feeding the kids breakfast. After a prayer for guidance and/or comfort we drove to the bishops house and resumed the search. As I began to search I saw in my mind where it was and was led to the very spot within a couple of minutes.
Once again my testimony is strengthened and I know that not only does he hear me but he loves me enough to help me find something as trivial as a diamond. I say trivial because it is not a necessary item. In fact last night I had told Sean that if we couldn't find the diamond I wanted to have my ring redesigned into a band and I would be ok with that, but our Heavenly Father knows what that ring means to me and to Sean & the significance it has played in our marriage. I feel truly blessed for all the blessings that he gives me each every hug, every smile, every kiss from my children are all blessings from him. Blessings that trace back to that diamond. I am grateful for my husband who values me and loves me despite my flaws and weaknesses. Sean would not have been ok with redesigning the ring and told me so last night. What a great way to start General conference weekend, in fact we were able to find it prior to the first session of Conference.


2 comments:
I am speechless. It is truly amazing that you have found it each time. Heavenly Father really knows how special it is to you!
That is INSANE!
Post a Comment