Saturday, April 4, 2009

Blessings in Disguise

So today was the first part of General Conference (for more info go to www.mormon.org) what an uplifting and challenging day. In the past (even 6 months ago) I have been able to focus on Conference and block out other things if I wanted. Smiley though is now at the age where he likes to be in the same room as me at times and also be running in between rooms and quiet I don't think is in his vocabulary anymore. Reverent is definitely not something I would say I have taught him well especially at home. So as we are sitting in Grandma's house Stew running up and down the stairs and I am listening to a talk on reverence I feel guilty that I have not taught my son better and that I have not taken the time to prepare activities for him to do while watching conference. Something I will have to work on in the future. So I have made up my mind that tomorrow I will work with him during the first session to sit and watch conference and during the second I will try to get him to play quietly. This means that my quilt will have to get done at another time and not as much done during conference. One of the talks that really hit home and I can't remember who was talking I know it was one of the twelve. They told the story of a couple who had just been in talking to the bishop as the husband had been laid off that day. They were very optimistic that things would work out for them and that the Lord would help them survive because they were spiritually prepared and full tithe payers. I know that despite the hard times that may come our family will be taken care of by the Lord. and that things will work out the way they are supposed to. Right now we are thinking that we will (out of necessity) move back West. I can only speak for myself that this move is going to be one of our hardest. Our closest friends all live in New England, friends that have been with us and helped us and been our family. I truly feel like by moving back west I am leaving behind some of my best friends whose friendship is irreplaceable. For those who have not heard and didn't catch it in the last post Sean was Laid off on Thursday. The reason for the title is that when the company did their layoffs in Dec we had not been paying our tithing like we knew we ought to. Had he been laid off then we would not be able to call on the blessings that come from paying a full tithe. Now we are more committed and know that as long as we pay our tithing everything else will work out thru the Lord.

3 comments:

Erin said...

We keep talking about how sad we are that you are moving. I'm really going to miss having you around. Your family was an unexpected blessing for us as we moved back home, and I know you'll find one where you are back west, as well. And meanwhile...we'll just have to keep in touch somehow. As for now...I'm looking forward to our visit when you come back for a bit!

Benica and Fam said...

are you moving back to utah? I am so sorry about Sean being laid off!! That is so hard! It's funny that you say all the things that you have said. I am having much the same problems and feelings. We are really excited to move into Grandpa's but i have made some of the best of friends out here. Only our move will only be 30 min. back south. I envy those who get to watch conference. I have been able to a little bit, but this last weekend was really hard. I do agree though that if we do what we are supposed to that the Lord will take care of us. The Lord has definatly taken care of us in more ways than we can count. Sorry i wrote you a book. Your entry, just hit me in the right spot. thanks!!

Lori England said...

Well, I will be able to see you if you move back to utah. Not much of an insentive is it? It is the best I could come up with tonight