Thursday, April 2, 2009

Book Club

So for the first time in my life I have been part of a book club since last fall. Our reads to this point have been Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte then we read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, followed by Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and The Willoughby's by Lois Lowry. It is the last 2 books that I wish to take a minute and jot down a few thoughts. First I found it very interesting that in both books the parents wanted nothing to do with the children. In Fahrenheit 451 they would send their babies to school starting at the age of 9 months where as in the Willoughby's the parents finally abandoned the children. I found this interesting and wonder if our society is leaning more and more towards less nurturing by parents and more paying someone else to do this for us. I want to think not. At least not by most of the families I know, but seeing that I know so few in the scheme of things it could be possible. The second thing I found interesting is that creativity in both books is not necessarily encouraged in fact discouraged completely in Fahrenheit 451. Anyway I have really enjoyed reading these books and having the opportunity to sit down and discuss them with others sharing insights and pointing out different points that I may have missed at first. Thanks to the women who share in this with me.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I am so sad to hear your news. But I'm cooking up a book club we can do via interweb...because it doesn't seem as interesting without you. I was thinking we could start a "this is what I read to my baby" book club. I could make a page specifically for our book posts and reviews, and we can get as many people to do it as we want. So what do you think, want in? That way we stay literaryily connected.