I love where my Great Grandma & Grandpa are buried, Point Loma Naval Cemetary. I love how it overlooks the ocean which so many of these great men sailed and fought for our freedom on. It is awesome to be there on memorial day and see the rows of flags against the white headstones. The Pictures don't do it justice.
On the way home we stopped at the San Diego temple and walked the grounds
Memorial Day we made the trip to Riverside a graveyard that until recently I had never been to. Here is where My Great Grandpa Martin is buried along with his parents and siblings.
Otto and Hannah immigrated to the US in the late 1800 from Sweden. I am grateful for their sacrifice to come to the US so that I have the freedoms that I enjoy.
Growing up Great Grandma Joyal would tell us about the ranch they had in Riverside. The ranch was very large, large enough that they had several men come and work for them and she would have to cook most of the day to prepare their meals. The house is still standing although the ranch was sold off years ago. The road used to end at the ranch as well. A lot has changed and I am sure it would break her heart to see the home in its current state, but it is still standing just needs some TLC and different occupants. I had to go in the middle of the road to get the picture and wasn't sure if someone was going to come out with a gun because I was taking pictures the house has security cameras that cover all angles and is fenced and locked pretty tight. Fortunately the picture doesn't show all of that.
It was a great day remembering, talking about all those who have gone before us and sharing with the kids the true meaning of Memorial Day. While at the Naval cemetery we walked around and their were several graves for men who had been killed in action in the past couple of years. It is these men who gave their lives protecting my freedom. Their families who have paid the ultimate sacrifice of a loved one to ensure that I feel safe in my home and can travel without fear around our great country. I don't know them and they didn't know me but they believed in our great nation and felt strongly that what they were fighting would help us here to feel more secure and live with less fear. I am grateful for the men & women who continue to fight for our great nation and the freedoms we enjoy. May we never forget them, or their families. I pray that I might live in a such a way that shows that I am grateful for all those who have sacrificed so much for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment