Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Happy St. Lucia's Eve

As many of you know I have a great love for my ancestors and an even greater fascination with how they lived their lives.  Well you would think that after this many years of knowing that I am 1/4 Swedish that I would have done more research on some of the traditions that Swedish families have.  Many years ago when I was single and living in SLC my roommate Ashley was going to her brothers to be Lucia for Saint Lucia's day.  She was also part Scandinavian and St. Lucia's is something that is celebrated throughout the Scandinavian Cultures.  She had explained that it was the oldest girls duty to play Lucia and wake the house dressed in a white robe and red sash wearing a crown of candles.  Well I thought to myself then when I have a daughter I want to do this.  Princess is almost 4 now and being here in North Dakota where my Great Great Grandfather was killed by lightning.  He had come to America when he was a little boy and I am sure that this was something they probably did.  Unfortunately for whatever reason and I do have my suspicions as to why Great Grandma did not pass the traditions on they were not passed on.   This past fall I went 2 times to the little town that they lived in when my Grandfather was killed and it re-sparked an interest in connecting with those that have gone before.  So this year we are celebrating St. Lucia's Day and so tonight we all got a new pair of PJ's (not necessarily true to the tradition) and a game for the family.  Tomorrow the kids will get up and make us toast with butter (instead of saffron buns) and wake us up by singing Christmas songs.  I was not able to find a crown for Ashlyn and ran out of time to make her a white dress, maybe next year.  Here's wishing you all a Happy St. Lucia's which is also the start of the 12 days of Christmas.  We will be decorating the tree, making christmas treats, playing games and enjoying our day together as a family.  I am super excited to start this tradition in my little family!!! I hope Great Grandma is smiling and knows how much we love her and are grateful for our heritage.

To learn more about St. Lucia's here is a link that I found St. Lucia in Sweden

No comments: