My Grandpa passed away on Saturday in his home surrounded by family and I will miss him. I realized today that when my Grandma (his love) passed away I was living out of State at that time too. For the past 7 years about Grandpa has been bringing joy and laughter to our lives all the while missing and longing to be with Grandma. They were truly sweethearts. At social and family functions they always sat together and often you would see them exchange a small kiss or words of love just because they could. I need to take a lesson from them on how I should be treating Sean.
I was blessed to have been able to travel often with my grandparents while I was growing up usually to visit with my cousins that lived out of state. On one trip we had gone to Seattle for a reunion as we were driving back to Aunt & Uncle George's home we ended up crossing the same bridge 3 times. Grandpa told me not to tell anyone when we got back that we had gotten lost, but being a teenager the first thing I did when I walked in the house was tell everyone how we circled the city 3 times before finding our way. Grandpa was notorious for getting lost and I attribute my great sense of direction to him as I was given the task of navigating on subsequent trips. I had to learn how to read maps and look for signs long before I was allowed to sit behind the wheel of a car. Thanks Grandpa. Grandpa was given a shirt and/or a bumper sticker that said "Don't follow me I am Lost" Grandpa didn't mind and was always willing to poke fun at those things that were a challenge for him.
The services today were great. We were taken on a journey thru his life and how he touched the lives of others just by being him. He was truly a man that I am proud I got to call Grandpa and know. I will miss you Grandpa but know that you and Grandma are reunited and loving every second you have now. Taken from the words of Grandma we will see you in a few minutes. Thank you for being such a wonderful example. Thank you for always loving me and welcoming all into the family. Love you always.
Amy
1 comment:
He really was a great man! I miss him but know that he is happy. I remember those little stolen kisses as well. When i think of Grandma and Grandpa that is what i picture.
Post a Comment